Friday, May 28, 2010

JYM Bayernabend - Day 33

When I bought my Dirndl, I made sure to buy it in time for JYM's Bayernabend Party - a Bavarian themed party at JYM.  Gabrielle and I had a lot of fun shopping for our Dirndls on 29 May, the day before the Bayernabend Party on 30 May (Day 33, if my count is still right).  Then we had lots of getting ready for the party, and of course, at the party itself.  I know some other people took more pictures than me, but here are some of the ones I took:

The group of us who came in Tracht - Dirndls for the girls and Lederhosen for the guys:

In the front: me, Eileen, Gabrielle, Melissa, Amanda, Tina, Ali

In the back: Landon and Jeff


Eileen and me:

Gabrielle, me, and Jeff: 



Kathryn and me:


Nolan...not quite in Tracht, but still a great shirt!

Brijhette, Nicole, and Gabrielle:

Even the JYM statues were decked out for the occasion!

 
And Hans-Peter in his Lederhosen...I think he pulled out his pipe later in the evening:

Part of the entertainment for the night was a live traditional Bairisch music group...a man, his two daughters, and a family friend.  They were pretty good...the two girls sang for some of the songs and their voices were really good too.

One interesting thing though, was that where most people drink water while they're performing, they also had a bottle of beer to go with their water.  I guess that's how you know they're German!

They also performed a traditional German dance - the Schuhplattler.  Basically, the girl spun around in circles, and the guy did all sorts slapping of his feet while moving around.  I don't know how else to describe it, but it was cool...

The girls played guitar/clarinet, sang, danced, and played the accordion too!


After the group performed, those of us who went to the Bayrischer Volktanzkurs performed two of the dances we had learned.  Then, everyone just hung out, danced, and had some snacks and beer.  Not a bad way to end a night!

Actually that wasn't quite the end of the night...after the party a group of us went back to Kathryn's room to hang out for a bit, and ended up having quite the discussion about what kinds of American accents we all have (I think this is one of those instances where Mom would tell me that this is why she doesn't worry about me doing drugs...).  We took some online accent quizzes and they were pretty accurate for most of us.  I apparently don't really have one, just a "non-accent" which I'm okay with - much better than a southern accent!  This is also one of those conversations that we just keep repeating, because every once and a while one of us will say something with a really strong accent and the rest of us feel the need to comment (and maybe laugh).  But that was still a great way to end a night!

1 comment:

  1. You're right about what I would have said at that point! :)

    And I also noticed that Mr. Kraak would comment on the blue "stuff" in the background of the last photo!

    ReplyDelete