Sunday, April 4, 2010

7 Euros and a Pair of Shoes - Day 5

On Friday (2 April, Day 5), I went with Kathryn, Elizabeth, Eileen, Emelie, Jeff, Corbin, and Landon to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for some hiking in the beautiful Alps.  So why 7 Euros and a pair of shoes?  That's how much the entire day cost me...7 Euros to split the cost of a Bayern train ticket with three others, and a pair of shoes because, well, the shoes I wore weren't exactly meant to be all-weather shoes and didn't exactly survive the trip.

We got up and met pretty early on Friday morning, and took an hour and half long train from the Munich Hauptbahnhof to Garmisch, and then wandered around the town for about an hour before finally making our way into the mountains.  I think we walked for at least 6 hours (3 up the mountain and 3 back down), probably somewhere between 10 and 15 miles, and who knows how high.  I was unfortunately one of the slowest, partially because I took so many pictures, and partly because I'm just not in shape, but it was still a wonderful day.  Needless to say, when we finally got back to the StuStadt at around 8:00 in the evening, we were all a bit exhausted...a few of us made and ate dinner together, but then I came back to my room and promptly crashed in my bed.  My legs and feet are still a bit stiff, even two days later.  But it was completely and utterly worth it.


Me, Jeff, Landon, and Corbin 


Emelie, Kathryn, Elizabeth, and Eileen 


Trying to figure out where we should go...how many college students does it take to read a map?


Our first full view of the mountains 



Everyone wanted the same pictures... 











We were a little worried when we first saw these two signs, saying that the mountain was closed due to a rock slide and ice, but we weren't going all the way to Partnachklamm, so we were okay...
 


A view of some neighboring mountains from the place where we stopped to eat our packed lunches 


Once we got up on the mountain, there was plenty of snow...

...and some gorgeous views...these are from a restaurant that we rested at about half way along our hike up the mountain:







It was amazing to see all the trees and try to image how old they are 
 

Mmm...yummy fresh snow! 


Elizabeth, me, Jeff, and Eileen 

These next few are from a clearing we reached about three quarters of our way up the mountain:





My shoes didn't really like the snow... 

Some of the same views from our trip down the mountain:
 



The restaurant where we stopped to rest 





One last view of the Alps from the road back into town...Aufwiedersehen! 
Posted 
by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Stunning photos! What a great day!! I can't wait to hear about your next adventure! I love you!

    ReplyDelete