Sunday, April 25, 2010

Hugendubel, Die Welt der Buecher - Day 18 and 19

I can't believe how behind I've gotten on updating my blog!  It's been more than a week since I've written anything, and I think I'm going to try to completely catch up today...which means I'm going to post a lot of stuff!  I don't know what order people will read my posts in, but I'm going to post them earliest first and let people figure out how they want to read it all.

Going back to when I last posted: last Thursday and Friday (April 15 and 16) weren't terribly exciting.  On Thursday, I had academic advising with Hans-Peter, the director of JYM, to figure out what classes I should take at JYM and what classes I should take at LMU, but I'll say more about that when I post about my first week of classes.  Thursday afternoon, I went shopping with Kathryn for school supplies, which turned out to be a bit more of an adventure than we expected...the school supplies that German students use aren't completely different than what we use at home, but they're different enough to be a little weird.  For example, German paper is longer than the standard American 8 1/2 by 11 pages, binders only have two rings instead of three, folders don't really have pockets, and we could not find lead for mechanical pencils anywhere.  Little stuff like that made it just a little frustrating to try to figure out what we wanted, but in the end I think we managed pretty well.

I spent Friday morning sending emails to LMU professors to apply for the classes I wanted to take, and doing other boring stuff like cleaning my room.  The highlight of the day was that I discovered my new favorite place in the city: Hugendubel.  Before I explain any further, I have to write a side note to Uncle Bob: if you're reading this, consider this advanced warning that you won't like what I'm about to say.  Hugendubel's full name is Hugendubel: Die Welt der Buecher.  Translation: The World of Books - Kelsie's dream world.  It really is a magnificent sight: Hugendubel is right in the middle of the Fussgaengerzone (pedestrian zone in the town center), directly across from the Rathaus and Glockenspiel, and when you enter the store, you're greeted by six stories packed with books of every kind on every subject you can think of.  Imagine a combination of Borders and Barnes and Noble, and maybe that comes close.  I think I spent about an hour there on Friday (I would have stayed longer, but Kathryn was with me) and I've already been back at least three or four times since then (looking for books for my classes, but still...).  If I wasn't a poor college student trying to travel around Europe, I would be Hugendubel's best customer.


 
I think Kathryn and I just hung out a bit for the rest of the night, but discovering Hugandubel was such a huge event that I can't really remember anything else about that day...

2 comments:

  1. What a let down! I read the whole post thinking "Wow, I can't wait to see what that store looks like!" How about a picture of the inside???

    ReplyDelete