Monday, April 5, 2010

Frohe Ostern! - Days 6 and 7

After the hiking trip on Friday, I've actually had a kind of quiet weekend, which has been great, since I'm still somewhat catching up on sleep after my jet lag and busy week, so I'm not complaining about slowing down just a bit.

On Saturday (3 April, Day 6), I did a bit more shopping for groceries and things, and then went with a couple of friends on a walk around the English Gardens, which are directly behind the StuStadt.  The gardens are apparently the world's largest city park.  Right now most of the trees are still pretty bare from the winter, but in a month or so the park will be gorgeous and I'll end up taking a million photos.  We took a break at one of the Biergartens in the middle of the park, and meandered our way around back to the StuStadt.  Then, later that evening I went with a few more people (me, Kathryn, Caitlin, Nolan, Elizabeth, Eileen, Gabrielle, and Jeff...I think that was everyone) to the Frauenkirche for an Easter vigil service.  The church is beautiful, and I don't think I've ever been to a full Catholic service before, so I didn't always quite know what was going on, but it was really interesting to sing and hear everything in German.  The service lasted three hours, so it was truly Easter morning by the time we left and made our way back to the StuStadt.  I went again on Sunday morning (4 April, Day 7) to a different service, this time at St. Luke's Lutheran church.  This service was much more along the lines of what I'm used to...I don't think there are many Presbyterian churches in Munich, so Lutheran might be as close as I can get.  There was an amazing American high school choir visiting and preforming throughout the service, and we were able to go say "good job" to a couple of the students and the director afterwards...it was a little weird switching to English to talk with them.  After the church service, we walked around downtown for a bit and then ate lunch at the Glockenspiel Cafe, which is on the sixth floor of the building directly across from the Rathaus, so it has a beautiful view of the Glockenspiel (hence the name).  Then, we came back to the StuStadt, watched a movie, made dinner, and just relaxed and talked for a bit before calling it a night.

Today (Monday, 5 April, Day 8) has been a bit fuller, but that will be my next post.  I don't really have any pictures from Saturday or Sunday...I didn't take pictures at either of the churches because I was there for the service and trying not to be too much of a tourist.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to go back to both places and take more pictures sometime...I do have four months, after all!

One picture to share:
As an Easter treat, I ate my first Kinder egg for this trip to Germany, and was quite impressed with the intricacy of the toy inside:
Posted 
by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Let me be the first to agree...awesome job on assembling the Kinder Egg sailboat! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete