Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Die Neue Pinakothek - Day 8, Part 2

Once we learned that most museums were open even though it was Easter Monday, we went to the Neue Pinakothek, which is one of several art museums in Munich, and one of the three Pinakotheks.  There's the Alte (old) and Neue (new) Pinakotheks as well as the Pinakothek der Moderne (modern), which are divided based on the time period of the artwork.  I don't know exactly what all the distinctions are, but I'm planning on taking a class called Art in Munich through JYM when the semseter starts in two weeks, so maybe at some point I'll learn how the artwork is distributed among the three Pinakotheks.  I visited all three when I was here with the JYM fellows program in May 2008, and the Neue Pinakothek is my favorite, so I was glad my friends agreed to go there.  I was happy that pictures were allowed inside (no flash of course), so here are several of my favorites:






Well, those four were all taken outside of the building itself, but here are the pictures of my favorite paintings from inside:

Morning after a Stormy Night (1819) - Johan Christian Dahl:


This one made me feel sad for the guy who's left shipwrecked, but at least he's not alone...his faithful dog is really all he'll ever need!

Waldmueller's Son Ferdinand with Dog (1836) - Ferdinand Georg Waldmueller
Even he knew that a dog should be considered part of the family!

Kindergarten (1885) - Johann Sperl
This one made me think of Mom




Vincent van Gogh is one of my favorite artists, based on my limited knowledge of art, and I'm glad I got to see a few of his pieces.  I think there was a slightly larger collection of his work in May 2008 when I was here before, but it was still neat to see what I could this time:

Plain near Auvers (1890) - Vincent van Gogh



View of Arles (1889) - Vincent van Gogh





Sunflowers (1888) - Vincent van Gogh
This was one of the most popular paintings in the museum - there was quite a crowd gathered around it

 
Fountain in the Park of Sanssouci Palace near Potsdam (1903) - Theo van Rysselberghe


Water-Lilies (1915) - Claude Monet



  Garden in Kalmthout (1892) - Henry van de Velde

 
Quayside by the Seine in Paris (1899) - Maximilien Luce

Posted by Picasa

I bought a couple small prints of my favorite paintings, so they'll be nice to decorate my room with here, but also to take home as souvenirs.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit the other Pinakotheks and some other art museums before I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment