Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Das Glockenspiel - Day 8, Part 1

I can't believe I've already been here for more than a week!  Monday (5 April, Day 8) was the one week mark!  I feel a bit like I've been here much longer than that, but also like the time has sped by...I've been running around and trying to see everything and do everything and it's been great and crazy and fun and crazy and exhausting and crazy!  I've gotten behind with my posts again, so I'm going to try to post several today because I have some much needed down-time for the afternoon.

On Monday, since it was still the Easter weekend, we didn't have any orientation activities and most stores were closed.  We were lucky though, because several museums were open.  I went with a group of friends first to Marienplatz, the Fussgaengerzone (pedestrian area) in the center of town, which is where we found an information center and learned that the museums were open (I'll put my pictures from the museum in a different post).  The timing worked out really well: we were in Marienplatz right at noon, which is when the Glockenspiel rings and the figures move.  It was cool to see...and amusing to look around at how many other tourists had their cameras out and pointed up.

Das Glockenspiel




Das Neue Rathaus (City Hall), with the Glockenspiel on the tower and a fountain in front

There are some pretty fierce-looking angle-like things on the statue in front of the Rathaus:





Every tourist in town had their cameras out...we allowed ourselves just a few minutes to be tourists too...
Posted 
by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment